It has been reported in various news sources the government of Haiti would like, or is at least considering The United States "take over" Haiti. If this were to happen, which in the long term (20+ years), I believe would be disastrous for the US.
But anyway, if the US works out a deal with Haiti, I propose the following, based on assumptions;
The US signs a deal with the Haitian government to manage the country, ports, roads, infrastructure (IT, cell towers, electric), etc. The deal is in perpetuity.
The Army Corps of Engineers will oversee the building operations. They will begin to rebuild out the port, rail, airport, road, school, hotels, tourism systems, of course we will use mainly US companies, with a ratio of 60% US workers, the other 40% will be Haitian (doing mostly lower skilled labor unless they have a higher KSA set). Tens of thousands of US and Haitian workers will be needed.
This influx of Americans will require the building of housing/barracks/living structures to house the US workers. this will help lower unemployment in the US and for the Haitians. Since most equipment, resources, supplies will have to be shipped or airlifted in, there will be stimulus in our shipping airline industries
These workers will require automotive/office support, food, dining services, various types of entertainment (restaurants, pubs, gyms, etc), shopping areas, etc. This will put much needed currency and economic stimulus into the economy.
Most Haitians are in dire need of higher education, if the Haitians receive $3.50 per hour, but can earn $4 per hour if they attend additional schooling (teachers will also be needed) for an additional 20 hours per week, which will increase their employ ability and offer them opportunities for advancement.
The military will receive access to an airfield, a deep water port, and a large training area. The military, managed by appropriate contractors, will also hire local Haitians to assist in the day-to-day support operations of the facilities. The additional military/civilian presence (CG, Army, Navy, AF, Marines, Merchant Marines, NOAA, etc) will require housing and support services.
There can be a contract for training the Haitian police/military.
The Department of Agriculture can manage the replanting and harvesting of fields, also utilizing local manpower.
I believe as the economic situation improves, taxes can be slowly introduced and the US will recoup their investments.
I realize this is not a perfect plan, done out on a bar napkin or two (2) by Sam Adams and I.....but I think it can work.
I also believe though the Haitian's may want us running things now.....eventually they will want us out.
So what do you think?
As always, subject to your review and comments